Putin Critic Is Dead

What's going on in the world today?

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

Putin Critic Is Dead

Postby Penner » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:36 pm

Nemtsov was reportedly shot multiple times on Friday night while walking on Moscow's Zamoskvoretskiy bridge, near the Kremlin. Putin announced that he would take over the investigation almost immediately after the murder.

http://www.vox.com/2015/2/27/8124207/pu ... is-nemtsov
Penner
Nomarch

Re: Putin Critic Is Dead

Postby BjornP » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:17 am

Looks like death by natural causes. Because naturally one does not get to pose any sort of threat to the Chekist regime.
Guilt is personal.
BjornP
Satrap

Postby AverageJoe » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:04 am

I think you meant "Another Putin critic is dead." This guy wasn't the first, and certainly won't be the last.
"Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." - President Calvin Coolidge

Misinformed. Ignorant. Perpetually Mad.
That's the new American way. - AverageJoe

My Political Compass
AverageJoe
Satrap

Postby AverageJoe » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:06 am

I think you meant "Another Putin critic is dead." This guy wasn't the first, and certainly won't be the last.
"Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." - President Calvin Coolidge

My Political Compass
AverageJoe
Satrap

Postby Penner » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:11 am

AverageJoe wrote:I think you meant "Another Putin critic is dead." This guy wasn't the first, and certainly won't be the last.

Well, yeah you are correct (also, it's amazing how people are only now remember Litvinenko who was literally poisoned by radioactive isotopes in London, back in 2006) but with criticizing Putin, one must be very cautious. That being said, his words about finding the one responsible is laughable.
Penner
Nomarch

Postby AverageJoe » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:15 pm

Penner wrote:
AverageJoe wrote:That being said, his words about finding the one responsible is laughable.

20 DCF bucks says the fingered perp is found dead or gets killed before any questioning.

My Political Compass
AverageJoe
Satrap

Postby doc_loliday » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:13 pm

What is wrong with you people? - Dr. Youth
doc_loliday
Hetairoi

Postby Martin Hash » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:08 pm

Putin is guilty until proven innocent on this one.
"[N]o normal person would post like this cat." - boethius
Martin Hash
Nomarch

Postby Penner » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:09 pm

Martin Hash wrote:Putin is guilty until proven innocent on this one.

Yeah, but it's obvious that he was behind it. I mean this guy isn't the first critic to die (I can think of at least five other people being killed).

Russia’s top investigative body says it is looking for a motive in the slaying of prominent opposition leader Boris Nemtsov, who joins at least six other critics of Vladimir Putin who have died since his first term as president.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/bor ... d=29292143

If it's not Putin killing off his critics then he has some kind of weird luck with his critics all dying suddenly.
Last edited by Penner on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penner
Nomarch

Postby Xenophon » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:02 am

Penner wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:Putin is guilty until proven innocent on this one.

Yeah, but it's obvious that he was behind it. I mean this guy isn't the first critic to die (I can think of at least five other people being killed).

Russia’s top investigative body says it is looking for a motive in the slaying of prominent opposition leader Boris Nemtsov, who joins at least six other critics of Vladimir Putin who have died since his first term as president.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/bor ... d=29292143

If it's not Puting killing off his critics then he has some kind of weird luck with his critics all dying suddenly.

I think the Chinese called that sort of weird luck, "The Mandate of Heaven." :snicker:
Xenophon
Contributing Member

Postby BjornP » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:06 am

Most analysts actually seem to say that it's unlikely that it was done under Putin's orders, given how this guy wasn't much of a threat and how his usual MO when it comes to handling growing opposition is manufacturing a corruption charge or similar. One story I read yesterday pointed out how radicalized parts of the Nashi movement (a pro-Putin youth organization since re-named) became. Organized rallies, under the direction of Kremlin had Nashi kids denouncing vocal and public critics and opposition politicians as traitors and subversives. That was went on in the open. Critics were beaten, harassed or threatened by Nashi youth fanatics in the shadows. Given how all (serious) opposition to Putin quickly gets blown up to be undercover-NATO fifth column subversives, it's not unlikely someone took their devotion to Putin and United Russia too far.
Guilt is personal.
BjornP
Satrap

Postby BorisG » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:58 pm

That's possible. However the fact this attack occurred in front of the Kremlin, where you cannot as much as lift your finger without attracting police attention, suggests high professionalism of the hit and at least complicity of the security services. No one knows who ordered it but if the security services are acting on their own without Putin's orders or consent, then it is no less scary than if they act on his orders.
BorisG

Postby Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:52 pm

Hit a target that was under constant FSB surveillance, right outside the Kremlin, and disappear without a trace; those are some formidable "kids" right there, right thur, SpetzKids it seems.
Nec Aspera Terrent
Smitty-48
Archon

Postby BjornP » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:00 am

Smitty-48 wrote:Hit a target that was under constant FSB surveillance, right outside the Kremlin, and disappear without a trace; those are some formidable "kids" right there, right thur, SpetzKids it seems.

Well, it's what the political analysts have been saying. That Putin wouldn't really need to murder him to turn him into a non-threat. And the FSB wouldn't neccesarily have to intervene if their surveillance target was made the target of a plot. But perhaps Merkel is right about Putin, and he's genuinely paranoid, and thus might even go after opposition politicians that pose no immidiate threat.
Guilt is personal.
BjornP
Satrap

Postby Carlus Magnus » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:59 pm

Penner wrote:
Nemtsov was reportedly shot multiple times on Friday night while walking on Moscow's Zamoskvoretskiy bridge, near the Kremlin. Putin announced that he would take over the investigation almost immediately after the murder.

A Russian government killing journalists and writers ?
Pretty run of the mill stuff for Russians.

Ever heard of Gareth Jones ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Jones_(journalist )
He was killed by Stalin for reporting about the Holodomar while Walter Duranty was praised for Whitewashing the death's of millions.
Molon Labe
Carlus Magnus
Hetairoi

Next

Return to Current Events